The day before yesterday I posted WD TV Live HD Media Player firmware update v1.06 released, in which I wrote
“And there is a good news for movie fans that used to play Blu-ray MKV copies with WD TV Live Plus- the device now plays Blu-ray subtitles in MKV file.
- Resolved issue where some PGS subtitles would not display in MKV container.
－quoted from WD TV Live Plus Release Notes v1.06 document”
Well I must say sorry to those who have read this post, cause I just did a test and found the issue has not be resolved. The WD TV Live Plus 1.06 does not show Blu-ray PGS subtitles either. No more comment on this, just want to show you the pictures I took. They look shabby cause I took these with an old phone- did not get a camera at hand. So here are the pictures:
1. The firmware- I’ve updated WD TV Live Plus to 1.06
2. The testing video- The A-Team Blu-ray rip in MKV format, with English, Japanese and Spanish subtitles (ripping with ByteCopy).
3. The The A-Team Blu-ray MKV on WD TV Live Plus
4. MKV playing without Blu-ray subtitles displayed.
Not sure how the MKV PGS subtitles work on your Live Plus box, but I’m not having luck at the Blu-ray subtitles.
Finally, two solutions for those who do would like to keep subtitles after Blu-ray ripping to MKV.
And I did write a short guide for srt extracting.
2. For ByteCopy users: you can have a try with the “WD TV Live Plus” format of the “HD Player” feature in the latest version. It converts .sup to .sub (PGS to DVDSUB) when ripping Blu-ray to MKV. Or rip Blu-ray in lossless mode (like MakeMKV does) and then extract .srt subtitles later for the movie.
The other day I see some guy in wdc forum reporting that he’s lost chapters for MKV since firmware 1.06. This has never happened with me.