What music, video, and photo file types/ codecs are compatible with the PS Vita?
At this time, the following formats are supported on the PS Vita system:
MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), and WAVE (Linear PCM)
MPEG-4 Simple Profile Level 3, Maximum 320×240 pixels, AAC
H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Baseline/Main/High Profile Level 3.1, Maximum 720p, AAC
JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, and PNG
NOTE: You may not be able to play some content depending on the type of data, file size, or copyright protection(e.g. DRM-restricted movies). Some content distributed over the Internet and by other means may also have playback restrictions-so called DRM restriction.
PlayStation Vita does not play the following video and audio contents:
- Movies, TV shows and music purchased from iTunes Store – you can use ChewTune to get iTunes DRM into PS Vita supported .mp4.
- HD video files from the PlayStation Store- currently not supported, but could get update later.
- Video and audio in unsupported formats (MKV, AVI, MOV, M2TS, VOB,etc) – you can use Video Converter to transcode them into PS Vita friendly H.264 .mp4 video and .mp3 audio
- HD 1080p or 720p MP4 file of very big file size or very high bitrate – use the same Video Converter to shrink the movie into PS Vita optimized video. Refer to best video format for PS Vita.
- For copying/ripping protected DVD and Blu-ray movies into PS Vita supported formats, try Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper.
Read more for a guide of how to transfer movies from computer to PS Vita.